- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 16 ounce loaf frozen wheat bread dough
- 1/2 cup seeds* and/or chopped nuts*
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons seeds*
1. Thaw dough according to package directions. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Sprinkle dough with some of the 1/2 cup seeds and/or nuts. Using a rolling pin, roll seeds and/or nuts into the dough. Fold dough in half crosswise; repeat sprinkling and rolling until seeds and/or nuts are all added and are evenly distributed throughout dough.
2. Using floured hands, gently roll dough rectangle into a spiral and shape into a 16-inch-long baguette. Place shaped dough, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl whisk together egg and the water. Brush loaf with mustard; brush with egg mixture. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons seeds. Snip small slits diagonally down the top of the loaf. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- Prepare as directed in Steps 1 and 2, except after shaping dough and covering loosely, chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed in Step 3.
- For seeds, try sesame, poppy, or fennel. For nuts, try pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 148,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 18,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 20,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 6,
- sodium (mg) 246,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet