Mango Hot Cakes
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and allspice. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the egg, milk, and melted butter. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in toasted nuts and lime peel.
- For each pancake, place several cubes of mango onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter over the top. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown; turn to second side when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm topped with yogurt and coconut, if desired, and any remaining mango. Makes 8 to 10 4-inch pancakes.
From the Test Kitchen
To separate the mango from its peel, make a cut through the mango by sliding a sharp knife next to the seed along one side. Repeat with the other side, then remove the peel. Cut away any fruit clinging to the seed.
Nutrition Facts (Mango Hot Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 195 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 30 mg chol.,
- 241 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet