Irish Soda Bread
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoons margarine or butter
cup raisins (optional)
egg white, slightly beaten
Nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins, if desired. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg white and buttermilk. Add all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface knead dough 10 to 12 strokes until nearly smooth. Shape into a 7-inch round loaf.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray Place bread dough on baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make 2 slashes in the top to form an X.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Nutrition Facts(Irish Soda Bread)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 127 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet