Serve this fruit-and-nut quick bread with a dab of cream cheese for Christmas breakfast or brunch. Try different flavor combinations by choosing between dried blueberries or cranberries and between hazelnuts or pecans.
0 did it
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 1 large or 4 small loaves (12 to 14 servings)
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 50 mins for large loaf or 25 minutes for small loaves
- Stand: overnight
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan or four 4-1/2x2-1/2x1-1/2-inch loaf pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with a fork; stir in brown sugar, orange juice, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in nuts and dried berries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan(s); spread evenly. Bake 8x4x2-inch pan about 50 minutes or 4-1/2x2-1/2x1-1/2-inch pans for 25 to 28 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center(s) comes out clean.
- Cool in pan(s) on wire rack(s) for 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s). Cool completely on wire rack(s). Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Serve with Spiced Cream Cheese Butter. Makes 1 large or 4 small loaves (12 to 14 servings).
- In a small bowl, combine two 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened; 1/4 cup butter, softened; 1 teaspoon vanilla; and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 1-1/4 cups (twenty 1-tablespoon servings).
Spiced Cream Cheese Butter
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and allspice. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 1-1/4 cups (twenty 1-tablespoon servings).
Nutrition Facts (Hazelnut-Blueberry Bread)
- Per serving:
- 401 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 43 mg chol.,
- 235 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet