Fresh Cranberry Scones
Fresh cranberries flavor these tender scones, a wonderful gift to bestow to family and friends this holiday season.
- Makes: 9 servings
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 20 mins to 25 mins 375°F
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a bowl, stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the cranberries and honey; stir in whipping cream. Add cranberry mixture to flour mixture all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Dough may appear pink. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch square. Cut into 9 squares. Place squares about 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. In a bowl, stir together the egg and water. Lightly brush wedges with egg mixture and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove scones from baking sheet; cool completely. Place scones in a tall plastic container. Cover and attach serving directions (below).
Prepare as above, except stir 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel into the cranberry mixture.
Prepare as above, except stir 2/3 cup (3 ounces) coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate into the cranberry mixture.
Prepare as above, except stir 2/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans into the cranberry mixture.