Country Spoon Bread
cups yellow cornmeal
egg yolks, beaten
cup cream-style cottage cheese with chives
cup shredded Havarti cheese with dill* (3 ounces)
8 1/2 ounce can cream-style corn
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan combine milk and cornmeal. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is very thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl combine egg yolks, cottage cheese, Havarti cheese, corn, and salt. Stir into cornmeal mixture in saucepan.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
You can use 3/4 cup regular Havarti cheese with 1/4 teaspoon dried dillweed stirred in place of the Havarti cheese with dill.
Nutrition Facts(Country Spoon Bread)
- Per serving:
- 249 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 101 mg chol.,
- 438 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet