Nonstick cooking spray
tablespoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
tablespoons cold shortening, cut in small pieces
tablespoons finely chopped green onion
cup cold buttermilk
small yellow pear or grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly coat a pan of twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. With pastry blender or two knives cut in butter and shortening until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in green onions. Make a well in center; add buttermilk all at once. Toss with fork to moisten all ingredients.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Quickly knead 10 to 12 strokes until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in 36 walnut-size pieces; pat into balls. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Press 1 tomato in center of each; brush with oil.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Cool slightly on rack. Serve warm. To reheat, wrap in foil; warm in 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.
Nutrition Facts(Biscuit Blossoms)
- Per serving:
- 166 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 233 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet