Artisanal Bread Stuffing
cups 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes artisanal bread, such as rosemary, dried tomato, or cheese (about a 1-1/4-pound loaf)
cup pine nuts
Nonstick cooking spray
cups coarsely chopped, cored fennel (reserve leafy green tops for another use)
cups chopped onion
cups pitted and sliced kalamata olives
teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
cups chicken stock or broth
- Place bread cubes and pine nuts in a large roasting pan. Toast in a 325 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread cubes are crisp and pine nuts are lightly browned, tossing once. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a 3-quart casserole with cooking spray; set aside. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fennel and onion; cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the olives, thyme, and pepper. Transfer mixture to an extra-large bowl. Add bread cubes and pine nuts, tossing to combine. Add chicken stock, stirring until moistened.
- Spoon bread mixture into prepared casserole. Cover with foil. Chill up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Let stuffing stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake, covered, for about 1 hour or until heated through. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To serve right away:
Stuffing may be baked without chilling. Bake covered, for about 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts(Artisanal Bread Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 315 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 19 mg chol.,
- 802 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet