Bread & Butter Pudding with Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the raisins and whiskey; let soak for 1 hour. Butter a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Generously spread one side of each slice of bread with the 3/4 cup butter. Cut the slices in half diagonally and arrange the bread in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, overlapping the slices. Drain the raisins, reserving the whiskey. Sprinkle raisins over the bread, tucking some between the bread slices. Pour the custard over the bread; cover with foil and let it soak in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the baking dish in a large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until the pudding is set and the top is golden (there will be a layer of melted butter over the pudding). Carefully remove the baking dish from the water bath and let cool slightly on a wire rack (the butter will soak back into the bread as it cools).
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the sugar, salt, cream, and 3 tablespoons of the reserved whiskey. Bring to boiling; reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring frequently. Serve pudding warm with the sauce spooned over the top.
From the Test Kitchen
Chocolate Bread Pudding
Omit raisins, whiskey, and steps 1 and 4. Use 4 ounces semisweet and/or milk chocolate, chopped (1 cup) in place of raisins. Serve with Ganache: In a medium saucepan bring 1 cup whipping cream just to boiling over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (do not stir). Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 786 calories, 8 g protein, 61 g carbohydrate, 61 g total fat (37 g sat. fat), 238 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 47 g total sugar, 37% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 249 mg sodium, 12% calcium, 19% iron
Nutrition Facts (Bread & Butter Pudding with Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce )
- Per serving:
- 585 kcal ,
- 42 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 207 mg chol. ,
- 242 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 33 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.
As you can see from my photo I baked in individual ramekins...an attempt at portion control.
You can listen here if desired: http://www.preheatedpodcast.com/episode-19-irish-eyes-are-smilin/