medium fennel bulb
cups baby carrots
cups vegetable broth
14 1/2 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
pound tiny red-skinned potatoes, cut into quarters
cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
cup finely chopped onion (1 large)
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
teaspoon cayenne pepper
pound fresh or frozen skinless cod, orange roughy, or haddock fillets
ounces fresh or frozen shrimp in shells or fresh or frozen scallops
teaspoon saffron threads
recipe Cracked Black Pepper Croutons
- Core and finely chop fennel, reserving leaves If desired. Snip leaves; wrap and chill until needed. Cut baby carrots in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine fennel, carrots, broth, tomatoes, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, salt, lemon peel, and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, thaw fish and shrimp or scallops, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse fish and shrimp or scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Cover and chill until needed.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in fish, shrimp or scallops, and saffron. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and shrimp or scallops are opaque.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with Cracked Black Pepper Croutons and, if desired, the reserved fennel leaves.
Cracked Black Pepper Croutons
cups firm-textured bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
tablespoons herb-flavored olive oil, or olive oil
teaspoon coarsely ground black or tri-color peppercorns
teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with pepper and, if desired, salt. Toss to combine. Spread cubes into prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden, stirring once or twice. Cool in pan on wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Make Ahead Tip:
Prepare and bake the Black Pepper Croutons up to 2 days ahead of time. Place in a container with a tight-fitting lid and store at room temperature.
- Per serving:
- 344 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 102 mg chol.,
- 1165 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet