Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Boccone Dolce Meringue with Chocolate Cream and Berries
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using an 8 inch round cake pan and a pencil, draw two large circles on one of the parchment-lined baking sheets and one circle on the other parchment-lined baking sheet (3 circles total). After drawing circles, flip paper over so that pencil outline is on the bottom, but still visible from the top; set aside.
- In a food processor pulse the 2 cups pistachios until finely chopped; set aside. In a medium bowl combine frozen berries and the 3 tablespoons sugar; set aside, stirring occasionally as berries thaw.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add the 2 cups sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Beat in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla bean paste. Fold in finely chopped pistachios. Divide meringue evenly among the three circles on the baking sheets, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Bake meringues on center two racks of the oven for 1 hour, rotating pans between racks after 30 minutes. Turn off oven; let meringues dry in oven without opening the door for 1 1/2 hours. Lift meringues off paper.
- Meanwhile, in a chilled mixing bowl combine the whipping cream, the 1/3 cup sugar, the unsweetened cocoa powder, and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl); set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt chocolate pieces over medium-low heat until smooth, stirring frequently. Drain frozen berry mixture.
- To assemble, place one of the meringue layers on a serving platter; drizzle with one-third of the melted chocolate, spreading evenly if necessary. Top with one-third of the whipped cream mixture and one-half of the thawed and drained berry mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining meringue layer, remaining chocolate, remaining whipped cream miuxture, and the fresh berries. If desired, sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake and cool meringue layers as directed through step 4. Layer the meringue circles between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Boccone Dolce Meringue with Chocolate Cream and Berries)
- Per serving:
- 722 kcal cal.,
- 40 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 66 mg chol.,
- 188 mg sodium,
- 90 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 73 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet