BLT Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Who says a BLT has to be a sandwich? Not us! Grilling the romaine gives the salad a more subtle texture and a slightly smoky flavor, but you can leave it raw if you prefer.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 375°F
- For salad dressing, in a small bowl whisk together creme fraiche, mayonnaise, dill, vinegar, and garlic. Whisk in buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange the bacon on a baking sheet; bake about 15 minutes or until crispy. Crumble the bacon into large pieces on paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Rinse and pat lettuce dry. Cut each head of lettuce in half lengthwise, brushing the fronts and backs with oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. For a charcoal grill, grill lettuce on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for about 2 minutes or until lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place lettuce on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) (For a grill pan, preheat grill pan. Place lettuce in pan and cook as above.)
- Place each wedge on a salad plate along with bacon and cherry tomatoes.** Drizzle with salad dressing and top with cheese.
To make 1/4 cup sour milk, place 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
You can vary this salad by serving it in pita bread rounds or on a grilled slice of ciabatta. If you like, substitute sauteed pancetta for the bacon. Or to make a Cobb salad, add avocado slices, grilled chicken, and crumbled blue cheese.
- Per serving:
- 223 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 32 mg chol.,
- 516 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet