Blood Orange Pound Cake
- Allow 1-1/4 cups butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl combine milk, 1 tablespoon of the orange peel, and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Set bowls aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat the room-temperature butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, beating until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake about 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and place on wire rack set over waxed paper. Using a long wooden skewer, poke several holes all over cake.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan stir together powdered sugar, 1/2 cup orange juice, 2 tablespoons melted butter, rum, and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Brush 1/4 cup of the sauce over warm cake. Cool cake completely. Cover the remaining sauce; set aside.
- Before serving, in a chilled medium mixing bowl beat whipping cream on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Fold in the remaining 2 teaspoons orange peel.
- Spoon some of the remaining sauce over cake. Top with orange slices and the remaining sauce. Serve cake with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts (Blood Orange Pound Cake)
- Per serving:
- 510 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 130 mg chol.,
- 388 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 35 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet