Black Tie Cake
- In a medium mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine milk and cocoa powder. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture just comes to boiling. Remove from heat. Whisk in unsweetened chocolate until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir cooled chocolate mixture into flour mixture until well combined (batter will be thick); set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites just until combined. Spread batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove side of pan. Cool completely.
- Spread White Chocolate Mousse in an even layer over the cooled cake. Drizzle with melted semisweet chocolate; let stand until set. Chill until ready to serve. If desired, arrange Chocolate-Covered Strawberries on cake.
- Clean 12 small fresh strawberries, leaving the tops on. In a microwave-safe small bowl place 21/2 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate. Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on 50 percent power for 30 to 60 seconds more or until chocolate melts, stirring once or twice. Dip strawberries halfway into the melted chocolate. Use a thin metal spatula to spread chocolate to a thin layer on the strawberries and scrape off any excess chocolate. Place on a waxed-paper lined baking sheet. Let stand until chocolate is set.
White Chocolate Mousse
- In a small saucepan combine white baking chocolate (with cocoa butter), chopped; cream cheese; and milk. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup thawed light whipped dessert topping until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Fold in 11/4 cups thawed light whipped dessert topping. Chill for 1 hour before frosting cake.
Nutrition Facts (Black Tie Cake)
- Per serving:
- 175 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 118 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Kellie Keenan-heatherly 681 Days Ago
and make it even healthier by using full fat, organic, grass fed cream cheese and milk. you know, healthy fats? and im pretty sure it will taste a lot better too.