Black Forest Cake Log
Chocolate Cake Roll:
- Allow egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease paper. Set pan aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Gradually beat in 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar until combined; set aside. Thoroughly wash beaters. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold about one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture; fold egg yolk mixture into remaining beaten egg whites. Sift flour and cocoa powder over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with additional powdered sugar. Carefully remove paper. Roll towel and cake into a spiral, starting from a short side of the cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan stir together granulated sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cherries, brandy, and stick cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a medium bowl; cool completely. Remove stick cinnamon.
- In a 1-cup glass measuring cup combine cold water and gelatin. Let stand for 2 minutes. Place measuring cup in a small saucepan of boiling water. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. In a large mixing bowl beat whipping cream, sugar, and brandy with an electric mixer on medium speed while gradually drizzling gelatin mixture over cream mixture. Continue beating cream mixture until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- To fill cake, unroll Chocolate Cake Roll. Spread with Cream Filling to within 1 inch of the outside edges. Spoon Brandied Cherries evenly over filling. Roll up cake without towel. Place cake roll, seam side down, on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool about 15 minutes or until thickened (if necessary, chill until thickened).
- Place melted milk chocolate in a small resealable plastic bag; set aside. Spread Chocolate Ganache over top and sides of cake. Snip a small hole in one corner of the bag of milk chocolate; pipe evenly-spaced lines of chocolate across cake. Pull the tip of a toothpick or fork across lines to create a scalloped pattern. Chill cake about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Transfer to a serving platter. If desired, top with chocolate shards and/or shavings and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make chocolate shards and/or shavings, line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. In a small saucepan cook and stir 1/2 to 2/3 cup chopped milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate (3 to 4 ounces) over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Spread in a thin layer (about a 7x5-inch rectangle) on the prepared baking sheet. Let stand until set (if necessary, chill until set). Peel chocolate off foil. For shards, break chocolate into irregular pieces. For shavings, make short strokes with a vegetable peeler across chocolate.
Nutrition Facts (Black Forest Cake Log)
- Per serving:
- 338 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 135 mg chol.,
- 100 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet