Best Stuffed French Toast
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed slice
- Prep: 20 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 24 hrs
- Cook: 4 mins
Best Stuffed French Toast
- Cut a 3-inch pocket about 2 inches deep in the top-crust side of each bread slice, cutting to but not all the way through to the other side. For filling, in a medium bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. Divide cream cheese mixture evenly among bread slices, spooning it into the pocket of each bread slice. Place bread slices in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, honey or sugar, and the 1 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly pour the egg mixture over bread slices. Using the back of a wide spatula, press bread down lightly to soak with egg mixture. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bread slices over once or twice during chilling time.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle over medium heat. Cook bread slices on hot griddle for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking time. Serve with syrup or Salted Caramel Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Baked French Toast:
Prepare Stuffed French Toast as directed through Step 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Arrange bread slices in prepared baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through baking time. Serve with syrup or Salted Caramel Sauce.
Mascarpone-Stuffed French Toast:
Prepare Stuffed French Toast as directed, except in the filling substitute 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese for the cream cheese, reduce the sugar to 1 tablespoon, and add 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted. In the egg mixture substitute brown sugar for the 2 tablespoons honey or sugar and add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 409 calories, 15 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 24 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 227 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 14 g total sugar, 15% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 282 mg sodium, 16% calcium, 13% iron
Strawberry-Stuffed French Toast:
Prepare Stuffed French Toast as directed, except stir 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries into the cream cheese mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 358 calories, 14 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 222 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 21 g total sugar, 16% Vitamin A, 18% Vitamin C, 356 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 13% iron
Bacon-Stuffed French Toast:
Prepare Stuffed French Toast as directed, except crisp-cook 3 slices bacon; crumble bacon and stir into the cream cheese mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 431 calories, 16 g protein, 51 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 228 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 33 g total sugar, 16% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 460 mg sodium, 16% calcium, 13% iron
Banana-Stuffed French Toast:
Prepare Stuffed French Toast as directed, except in a small skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add 1 small banana, sliced, and 2 teaspoons sugar to the melted butter. Cook and stir for 30 to 60 seconds to soften the banana. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted. Cool slightly. Stir into cream cheese mixture before spooning into bread slices.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 450 calories, 15 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 24 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 230 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 25 g total sugar, 18% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 381 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 14% iron
Salted Caramel Sauce for Stuffed French Toast:
In a heavy medium saucepan stir together 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup whipping cream, 1/2 cup butter, and 2 tablespoons light-color corn syrup. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally; reduce heat to medium. Boil gently for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Pour into a small bowl. Cool to room temperature. If desired, cover and chill for up to 24 hours. (If chilled, let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.) If desired, stir in 1 banana, thinly sliced. Serve with Stuffed French Toast. If desired, serve with chopped pecans, toasted. Makes 1 1/3 cups (or 1 3/4 cups with banana).
Nutrition analysis per 1 tablespoon sauce: 95 calories, 0 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 7 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 97 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 0% iron
Nutrition Facts (Best Stuffed French Toast)
- Per serving:
- 403 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 222 mg chol.,
- 358 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet