- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 18 mins 400°
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8x1 1/2-inch round baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using the back of a spoon, make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl stir together egg, sour cream, and milk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Using a small offset metal spatula, spread dough evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen sides of shortcake. Place a wire rack on top of pan; place one hand on top of rack and other hand under pan and carefully invert pan with rack (use pot holders to protect your hands). Lift pan off shortcake. Cool on wire rack until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 cups of the strawberries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. If desired, use a potato masher to mash berries slightly; set aside.
- To serve, cut shortcake in half horizontally. Spoon the strawberry mixture and the Sweetened Whipped Cream over shortcake bottom. Replace the shortcake top. Top with the remaining 1 cup sliced strawberries.
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except drop dough into eight mounds on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack; cool completely. To serve, cut each shortcake in half horizontally. Spoon strawberry mixture and Sweetened Whipped Cream over shortcake bottoms. Replace shortcake tops. Top with the remaining 1 cup sliced strawberries. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 376 calories, 5 g protein, 41 g carbohydrate, 23 g fat (13 g sat. fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 19 g total sugar, 16% Vitamin A, 89% Vitamin C, 275 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 9% iron
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except stir 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per serving: 510 calories, 7 g protein, 55 g carbohydrate, 30 g total fat (18 g sat. fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 26 g total sugar, 22% Vitamin A, 119% Vitamin C, 367 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 13% iron
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except substitute 5 cups mixed fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries) or 5 cups mixed fresh fruit (sliced peaches, nectarines, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, and/or halved grapes) for the 5 cups sliced strawberries. Do not mash fruit. If desired, drizzle fruit mixture with honey.
Per shortcake: 522 calories, 7 g protein, 59 g carbohydrate, 30 g total fat (18 g sat. fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 27 g total sugar, 24% Vitamin A, 36% Vitamin C, 366 mg sodium, 13% calcium, 13% iron
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except stir 1/2 cup chopped walnuts into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per serving: 566 calories, 8 g protein, 56 g carbohydrate, 36 g total fat (19 g sat. fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 26 g total sugar, 22% Vitamin A, 118% Vitamin C, 367 mg sodium, 14% calcium, 14% iron
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except decrease sugar from 1/4 cup to 1 tablespoon in Step 1. Omit the strawberries, the 3 tablespoons sugar, and the Sweetened Whipped Cream and omit Step 3. In Step 1, stir in the sour cream mixture, then stir in one of the following mixtures: Mixture A: 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (1 ounce) and 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper Mixture B: 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled, and 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (1 ounce) Mixture C: 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce) and 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce Mixture D: 2 tablespoons pitted and finely chopped kalamata olives, 2 tablespoons snipped dried tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese Mixture E: 1/4 cup finely shredded white cheddar cheese (1 ounce) and 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
Per serving: 274 calories, 6 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 406 mg sodium, 13% calcium, 10% iron
- In a chilled bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- 502 kcal cal.;
- 30 g Fat, total;
- 122 mg chol.;
- 18 g sat. fat;
- 54 g carb.;
- 8 g Monosaturated fat;
- 2 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 3 g fiber;
- 26 g sugar;
- 7 g pro.;
- 2 mg Niacin;
- 93 µg Folate;
- 0 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6);
- 2 mg iron;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 1079 IU vit. A;
- 71 mg vit. C;
- 0 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12);
- 366 mg sodium;
- 296 mg Potassium;
- 0 g Trans fatty acid;
- 130 mg calcium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet