- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 4 ounces chicken with 2 additional tablespoons sauce
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 375°
Best Oven-Barbecued Chicken
pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and/or drumsticks)
tablespoons vegetable oil
cup finely chopped onion (1 large)
tablespoons kosher salt
tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
tablespoon chili powder
teaspoons crushed red pepper
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup cider vinegar
cup packed dark brown sugar
tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
cup tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil; set aside. Skin chicken. In an extra-large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until browned on all sides, turning to brown evenly. If necessary, brown chicken in batches, adding more oil if needed. Drain chicken well.
- Arrange chicken pieces, bone sides up, in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, salt, and garlic; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add paprika, chili powder, crushed red pepper, and black pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add the water, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to boiling. Whisk in tomato paste and molasses until smooth. Boil gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced to about 4 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Turn chicken pieces bone sides down. Transfer 1 cup of the sauce to a small bowl; brush this sauce over the chicken. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks). Reheat some of the remaining sauce; pass with the chicken. Store any remaining sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts (Best Oven-Barbecued Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 396 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 158 mg chol.,
- 1240 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 23 g sugar,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet