Best Oven-Barbecued Chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil; set aside. Skin chicken. In an extra-large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until browned on all sides, turning to brown evenly. If necessary, brown chicken in batches, adding more oil if needed. Drain chicken well.
- Arrange chicken pieces, bone sides up, in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, salt, and garlic; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add paprika, chili powder, crushed red pepper, and black pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add the water, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to boiling. Whisk in tomato paste and molasses until smooth. Boil gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced to about 4 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Turn chicken pieces bone sides down. Transfer 1 cup of the sauce to a small bowl; brush this sauce over the chicken. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks). Reheat some of the remaining sauce; pass with the chicken. Store any remaining sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts (Best Oven-Barbecued Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 396 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 158 mg chol.,
- 1240 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 23 g sugar,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Tina Henson 943 Days Ago
The chicken was delicious, but the sauce did not thicken well so I added 2 Tbsps. of Cornstarch. It thickened up right away. Perfect!
Juneau Reunions 943 Days Ago
Bake the chicken for 25 minutes at 400° Farenheit. CAREFULLY open the oven, squeeze on your favorite barbeque sauce -- mine is a 50/50 mixture of Sweet Baby Ray's Regular Sauce and Speed Queen Man That's Hot Sauce. Close the oven, let it bake for another 12 minutes. ENJOY!
Bethel McKinley 983 Days Ago
sauce take much longer then 15 to 20 minutes to thicken. I'd give it an hour to an hour and a half, or reduce water. =/
Xolisile Nobuhle Zikhali 1007 Days Ago