Beer-Glazed Sausage and Apples
12 ounce bottle Belgium-style wheat beer
teaspoon crushed red pepper
14 ounce package smoked sausage, such as kielbasa, cut in 3-inch pieces
pound fresh green beans
medium cooking apples, cored and thinly sliced
tablespoons packed brown sugar
tablespoon cider vinegar
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
small sage leaves
- In a large saucepan combine 1/2 of the beer and the crushed red pepper; bring to boiling. Add sausage and green beans. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter; add apples. Cook, turning occasionally, until apples are just tender. Transfer to a platter.
- Add sausage to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Add to platter; cover. Drain fat from skillet.
- Carefully add remaining beer to skillet (mixture may foam); stir to scrape up browned bits. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and orange peel. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return sausage and green beans to skillet to coat in glaze. Fold in apples. Return to serving platter. Sprinkle with sage. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Beer-Glazed Sausage and Apples)
- Per serving:
- 409 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 85 mg chol.,
- 1250 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet