- Yields: 20 to 24 hushpuppies
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 3 mins per batch
cup yellow cornmeal
teaspoons baking powder
ounces pepper jack cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
cup finely chopped onion
cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
egg, lightly beaten
cup light lager
Vegetable oil or shortening for deep-fat frying
Snipped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (optional)
Green or red jalapeno jelly
- In a medium bowl mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add cheese, onion and red sweet pepper; toss to combine. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In another bowl mix egg and beer; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- In a 3-quart saucepan heat 2-inches of oil to 375 degrees F. For each hush puppy, drop 1 rounded tablespoon of batter into hot oil. Fry three or four at a time for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat pepper jelly just until melted. Serve hush puppies warm with pepper jelly. Makes 20 to 24 hush puppies.
Nutrition Facts (Beer-Cheese Hushpuppies)
- Per serving:
- 128 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 12 mg chol.,
- 124 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBread Recipes
Recipe CollectionsOur Best Fall Recipes