Teriyaki Beef and Lettuce Wraps
Savory fillings inside lettuce leaves make a healthy appetizer that's light, fresh and fantastic.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Start to Finish: 40 mins
- Remove and discard core from lettuce. Carefully remove at least 16 whole lettuce leaves; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine carrot, sweet pepper, 6 tablespoons vinegar, and salt; toss to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef and 6 tablespoons teriyaki marinade. Shape beef mixture into 1/2-inch meatballs.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one-fourth of the meatballs to hot skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, turning meatballs to brown on all sides. Transfer meatballs to a bowl. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Return all meatballs to the skillet. Stir in chile pepper, water, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 2 tablespoons teriyaki marinade. Bring to simmering. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- To serve, fill lettuce leaves with vegetable mixture and meatballs; roll up. Garnish the platter with green onions. Makes 16 servings.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Prepare the lettuce, vegetable mixture, and meatballs as directed. Cover and chill separately for up to 24 hours. Fill and roll up as directed (you don't need to reheat the meatballs).
- Per serving:
- 250 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 71 mg chol.,
- 936 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet