- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 12 ounces dried jumbo pasta shells (about 35 shells)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 28 ounce can San Marzano® tomatoes or whole tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce carton whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 1/3 cups grated or finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 15x10x1-inch baking sheet and a 3-quart oval or rectangular baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of water, with 1 tablespoon salt added, to boiling. Add pasta shells and cook just until slightly tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain pasta and spread in a single layer on baking sheet to prevent them from sticking together.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add beef and 1 clove of garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes, until no pink remains in beef. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
4. For tomato sauce, in a second skillet over low heat combine remaining olive oil, remaining garlic, and undrained tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer over low heat; cook for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened somewhat, breaking up tomatoes with the back of spoon.
5. Stir 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce into cooled ground beef, then add ricotta and 2/3 cup of the Parmigiano; stir until combined.
6. Spoon 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce into prepared baking dish. Fill each pasta shell with about 1 tablespoon meat and cheese mixture. Arrange shells in prepared baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells, then sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup cheese.
7. Bake about 30 minutes, until filling is heated through and top is golden brown.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 537,
- Fat, total (g) 25,
- chol. (mg) 94,
- sat. fat (g) 11,
- carb. (g) 42,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 10,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 3,
- sugar (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 35,
- vit. A (IU) 534,
- vit. C (mg) 18,
- Thiamin (mg) 1,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 8,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 121,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2,
- sodium (mg) 661,
- Potassium (mg) 722,
- calcium (mg) 333,
- iron (mg) 6,
- Mark as Free Exchange () 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet