- Makes: 2 servings
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
Stir-Fry Vegetables with Steak
teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns or peppercorns
freshly ground black pepper
ounces sirloin steak, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
tablespoons yellow mustard
ounces dried noodles such as medium egg noodles, or Thai rice noodles
Toasted sesame oil
Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
red chiles, such as Thai chiles, halved, seeded, and finely sliced
scallions (green onions), trimmed and sliced
green or yellow zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthways and finely sliced
Small handful of torn kale or baby spinach
Small bunch of cilantro
- Lightly crush the Szechuan peppercorns in a mortar and pestle until coarsely ground. Drizzle the steak with olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper, and the crushed peppercorns. Rub these all over the steak. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrot into long ribbons and set them aside.
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat until really hot. Cook the steak for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until browned and caramelized on the outside, but pink inside, turning it every minute or so. Brush some of the mustard over the steak toward the end of cooking. Once cooked to your liking, move the steak to a cutting board to rest.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Preheat a large wok or frying pan over a high heat. Once really hot add about 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and the sliced ginger, garlic, and vegetables, except for the carrot and kale. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, then add the carrot and kale and continue to cook and stir. Season with a splash or two of soy sauce and toss in the cooked noodles. Take wok off heat. Divide this vegetable mixture between serving bowls. Slice the steak thinly and divide between bowls; drizzle the resting juices from the meat all over everything. Sprinkle with the cilantro leaves. Makes 2 servings, plus leftover vegetables and noodles.
From the Test Kitchen
* Chiles contain oils that may burn skin and eyes. Wear plastic gloves and wash hands after handling.
Nutrition Facts (Stir-Fry Vegetables with Steak)
- Per serving:
- 524 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 81 mg chol.,
- 869 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet