Steak Fajitas with Peppers
ounces boneless beef skirt steak or flank steak
cup cooking oil
cup lime juice
fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
tablespoons sliced green onions (2)
tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
cloves garlic, minced
8 inches flour tortillas
tablespoon cooking oil
medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
medium red or green sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
cup chopped tomato (1 medium)
Purchased Guacamole (optional)
Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Partially freeze meat for about 30 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Place strips in a plastic bag set in a deep bowl.
- Meanwhile, for marinade, in a small mixing bowl, combine the 1/3 cup cooking oil, lime juice, jalapeno peppers, green onions, cilantro, salt, and garlic. Pour marinade over beef strips in bag. Close bag tightly; turn to coat beef strips. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, drain beef strips; discard marinade. In a large skillet heat the 1 tablespoon cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweet pepper. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from skillet.
- Add beef to the hot skillet. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until done. Drain well. Return all vegetables to skillet. Stir in tomato. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- To serve, fill warm tortillas with beef-vegetable mixture. If desired, top with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. Roll up tortillas. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the filling as directed. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts(Steak Fajitas with Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 479 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 40 mg chol.,
- 801 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet