Spiced Beef Kabobs with Mashed Carrots
cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
tablespoons vegetable oil
tablespoons lemon juice
tablespoons packed brown sugar
cloves garlic, smashed
teaspoon crushed red pepper
pound boneless beef chuck or sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut in 1-inch cubes
recipe Mashed Carrots, see below
recipe Lemon Gremolata, see below
- In a self-sealing plastic bag in shallow dish add soy sauce, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, and red pepper. Add meat to bag. Seal and turn to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain beef mixture, discard marinade. Thread beef on 8-inch wooden* or metal skewers, leaving 1/4-inch between.
- For charcoal grill, cook skewers on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 14 minutes or until desired doneness, (160 degrees F for medium) turning occasionally and moving to cooler areas of grill if browning too quickly. (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Add skewers to grill. Cover; grill as above.) Makes 4 servings.
- Serve with Mashed Carrots. Sprinkle with Lemon Gremolata.
From the Test Kitchen
* If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using.
pound peeled and sliced carrots
tablespoon lemon juice
tablespoon olive oil
- In medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in small amount of boiling salted water 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to saucepan. Add lemon juice and olive oil. Mash until nearly smooth. Season to taste with black pepper.
cup snipped fresh basil
teaspoons shredded lemon peel
clove minced garlic
- In small bowl combine basil, lemon peel and garlic.
Nutrition Facts(Spiced Beef Kabobs with Mashed Carrots)
- Per serving:
- 277 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 50 mg chol.,
- 483 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet