Looking for a different type of burger? Try these, packed with bacon and smoked to perfection.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 burgers
- Prep: 1 hr
- Grill: 18 mins
cups hickory or fruit wood chips
pounds lean ground beef
cup finely chopped sweet onion
cup finely chopped green sweet pepper
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon seasoned salt
teaspoon ground sage
cup mild or hot barbecue sauce
hamburger buns, split
Barbecue sauce (optional)
Purchased pickle mix (optional)
Purchased barbecue beans (optional)
Creamy Coleslaw (optional)
- Soak wood chips in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Let cool slightly; crumble. Combine bacon, ground beef, beaten eggs, onion, sweet pepper, black pepper, seasoned salt, and sage in a large bowl; mix well. Shape into 6 patties about 1 inch thick.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling. Test for medium-high heat above drip pan. Add wood chips according to grill manufacturer's directions. Place patties on a lightly oiled rack over the pan. Cover and grill for 18 to 20 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 160 degree F, turning burgers once. Brush with the 1/4 cup barbecue sauce the last 5 minutes of grilling.
- Toast buns on grill rack, if desired. Serve the burgers on buns with sliced onions and, if desired, additional barbecue sauce. Serve with pickle mix, barbecue beans, and Creamy Coleslaw, if desired. Makes 6 burgers.
From the Test Kitchen
Use a high-quality bacon, cooked just crisp enough to crumble easily.
Nutrition Facts (Southern-Style Hamburgers)
- Per serving:
- 478 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 177 mg chol.,
- 729 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBeef Recipes, Breakfast and Brunch Recipes, Burger Recipes, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Recipes, Cocktail Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Fourth of July Recipes, Grilled Burger Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Pork Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Seasonal Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes