Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin
2 1/2 pound beef tenderloin
tablespoons cooking oil
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon cracked black pepper
teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt or 1/4 tsp. salt
sprigs fresh rosemary
sprigs fresh oregano
sprigs fresh thyme
Mushroom Tumble or Horseradish Cream (see below)
Fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Drizzle tenderloin with cooking oil. Rub minced garlic evenly over the surface of the meat. Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Place rosemary, oregano, and thyme sprigs in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Add a roasting rack. Place meat on rack.
- Roast meat, uncovered, 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat registers 135 degrees F (about 30 to 40 minutes). Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve beef with Mushroom Tumble or Horseradish Cream; sprinkle with fresh thyme sprigs. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Slow roasting in the early stages ensures that the meat is tender.
7 ounce carton creme fraiche or dairy sour cream
tablespoons prepared horseradish
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl stir together carton creme fraiche or dairy sour cream and prepared horseradish. Stir in salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator; allow to stand 30 minutes before serving. Makes 1 cup.
cups assorted mushrooms (halve any large mushrooms and remove stems, if necessary), such as chanterelle, portobello, Shiitake, and oyster
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons lemon juice
teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
coarse sea salt
cracked black pepper
- In an extra large bowl toss together mushrooms with olive oil,lemon juice, and soy sauce. Cook, uncovered, in a very large skillet over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin)
- Per serving:
- 316 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 87 mg chol.,
- 238 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet