Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin
Roasting beef over a bed of herbs infuses the meat with fragrance and flavor. Serve with mushroom tumble and spicy horseradish cream sauce.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Roast: 1 hr 250/425 degrees F
- Stand: 10 mins
Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin
2 1/2 pound beef tenderloin
tablespoons cooking oil
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon cracked black pepper
teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt or 1/4 tsp. salt
sprigs fresh rosemary
sprigs fresh oregano
sprigs fresh thyme
Mushroom Tumble or Horseradish Cream (see below)
Fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Drizzle tenderloin with cooking oil. Rub minced garlic evenly over the surface of the meat. Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Place rosemary, oregano, and thyme sprigs in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Add a roasting rack. Place meat on rack.
- Roast meat, uncovered, 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat registers 135 degrees F (about 30 to 40 minutes). Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve beef with Mushroom Tumble or Horseradish Cream; sprinkle with fresh thyme sprigs. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Slow roasting in the early stages ensures that the meat is tender.
7 ounce carton creme fraiche or dairy sour cream
tablespoons prepared horseradish
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl stir together carton creme fraiche or dairy sour cream and prepared horseradish. Stir in salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator; allow to stand 30 minutes before serving. Makes 1 cup.
cups assorted mushrooms (halve any large mushrooms and remove stems, if necessary), such as chanterelle, portobello, Shiitake, and oyster
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons lemon juice
teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
coarse sea salt
cracked black pepper
- In an extra large bowl toss together mushrooms with olive oil,lemon juice, and soy sauce. Cook, uncovered, in a very large skillet over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin)
- Per serving:
- 316 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 87 mg chol.,
- 238 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBeef Recipes, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Heart Healthy Dinners, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Salad Dressing Recipes, Slow Cooker Beef Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes