- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 servings + reserves
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 10 hrs to 12 hrs (low) or 5 to 6 hours (high)
- Trim fat from brisket. If necessary, cut beef to fit in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Place carrots and onion in cooker. Top with brisket. In a medium bowl stir together wine, tomato paste, tapioca, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, liquid smoke, and chili powder; pour over brisket in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove brisket from cooker. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from cooker. Reserve half of the beef (about 1 pound), 1 cup of the vegetables, and 1 cup of the cooking juices; store* as directed below. Use in Brisket Pie (see recipe below). Slice remaining beef; serve with vegetables, cooking juices, and mashed potatoes. Makes 6 servings + reserves.
Place beef in an airtight container. Place vegetables and cooking juices in a second airtight container. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Chop the reserved beef (about 4 cups). In a large saucepan, combine chopped beef; reserved vegetables and juices; 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn; 1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper; and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; transfer to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup milk and 2 eggs, lightly beaten. In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups packaged biscuit mix; 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese; and 1/4 teaspoon onion salt. Add milk mixture to biscuit mixture and whisk until combined. Spoon batter over hot beef mixture in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until top is light brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
653 cal., 32 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 207 mg chol., 1164 mg sodium, 42 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 48 g protein.
- Per serving:
- 355 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 96 mg chol.,
- 641 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet