Short Ribs Arrabbiata over Polenta
slices pancetta or bacon, chopped
pounds boneless beef short ribs
teaspoon ground black pepper
large onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
28 ounce can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up
cup dry red wine
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon crushed red pepper
cup quick-cooking polenta or cornmeal
cup finely shredded Romano cheese
tablespoons snipped fresh basil or parsley
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta until crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove from skillet. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Brown ribs on all sides in hot drippings. Remove beef from skillet. Cook onion and garlic in hot drippings until tender; drain fat.
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, place pancetta, onion, garlic, and beef ribs. Add undrained tomatoes, red wine, basil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and basil.
- Serve polenta in shallow bowls topped with short ribs and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts(Short Ribs Arrabbiata over Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 882 kcal cal.,
- 68 g fat
- (30 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 29 g monounsatured fat),
- 148 mg chol.,
- 1050 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet