- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 40 hrs
- Cook: 6 hrs to 7 hrs (low) or 3 to 3 1/2 hours (high)
Short Ribs Arrabbiata over Polenta
slices pancetta or bacon, chopped
pounds boneless beef short ribs
teaspoon ground black pepper
large onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
28 ounce can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up
cup dry red wine
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon crushed red pepper
cup quick-cooking polenta or cornmeal
cup finely shredded Romano cheese
tablespoons snipped fresh basil or parsley
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta until crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove from skillet. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Brown ribs on all sides in hot drippings. Remove beef from skillet. Cook onion and garlic in hot drippings until tender; drain fat.
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, place pancetta, onion, garlic, and beef ribs. Add undrained tomatoes, red wine, basil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and basil.
- Serve polenta in shallow bowls topped with short ribs and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Short Ribs Arrabbiata over Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 882 kcal cal.,
- 68 g fat
- (30 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 29 g monounsatured fat),
- 148 mg chol.,
- 1050 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet