When weeknight madness hits, the slow cooker has you covered. It creates a hearty, juicy beef brisket dinner with leftovers for panini sandwiches.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 12 hrs to 14 hrs (low) or 6 to 7 hrs. (high) Slow Cooker: 5 to 6 qt.
- Trim fat from brisket. Cut brisket to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, if necessary. Season brisket with pepper. Combine carrots and celery in the slow cooker. Place brisket on vegetables. Combine barbecue sauce, tapioca, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over brisket.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 12 to 14 hours or on high-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board. Cut brisket in half. Cover and refrigerate half of the brisket for up to 24 hours; use for Chutney-Beef Panini (see recipe, below). Thinly slice remaining half of brisket across the grain. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Serve cooking liquid with sliced brisket and vegetables over cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.
From the Test Kitchen
Finely snip 1/2 cup mango chutney. Spread chutney evenly on one slide of 12 slices whole grain bread. Thinly slice the chilled brisket; arrange on half of the bread slices. Top with 6 slices provolone cheese. Cover with remaining bread slices, chutney sides down. Lightly brush the bread with olive oil or melted butter. Preheat indoor grill, griddle, or skillet over medium heat or heat according to manufacturer's directions. Place sandwiches, a few at a time, on the hot grill or griddle or in skillet. If using a covered indoor grill, close lid and grill for 5 to 6 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. (If using an uncovered indoor grill, griddle, or skillet, place a heavy plate on top of the sandwiches. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are toasted. Carefully remove plate, turn sandwiches over, and top with the plate. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.) Makes 6 sandwiches.
Nutrition facts per sandwich for Chutney-Beef Panini:
411 cal., 21 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 84 mg chol., 583 mg sodium, 23 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 32 g protein.
For Easy Cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, remove food from your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts (Saucy Brisket)
- Per serving:
- 411 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 84 mg chol.,
- 583 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet