Saucy Beef Brisket
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 servings + reserves
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 12 hrs to 14 hrs (low) or 6 to 7 hours (high)
Saucy Beef Brisket
- Trim fat from brisket. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Season brisket with pepper. In the slow cooker, combine carrots and celery. Place brisket on top of vegetables. Combine barbecue sauce, tapioca, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over brisket.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 12 to 14 hours or on high-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board. Cut brisket in half. Reserve and store* one half of the brisket; use for Chutney-Beef Panini (see recipe below). Thinly slice remaining half of brisket across the grain. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Serve cooking liquid with sliced brisket and vegetables over cooked noodles or mashed potatoes. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Wrap reserved brisket in foil or plastic wrap; chill for up to 3 days.
Finely snip 1/2 cup mango chutney. Spread evenly on six slices of whole wheat bread, one side only. Thinly slice reserved brisket; arrange on six of the bread slices. Top each with 1 slice of provolone cheese. Cover with 1 more bread slice, chutney side down, making 6 sandwiches. Lightly brush bread with olive oil. Preheat an indoor grill, griddle, or skillet over medium heat or heat according to manufacturer's directions. Place sandwiches, a few at a time, on the hot grill, griddle, or skillet. If using a covered indoor grill, close lid and grill for 5 to 6 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese melts. (If using an uncovered indoor grill, griddle, or skillet, place a heavy plate on top of the sandwiches. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are toasted. Carefully remove plate, turn sandwiches over, and top with the plate. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until bread is toasted and cheese melts.) Makes 6 sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Chutney-Beef Panini: 411 cal., 21 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 84 mg chol., 583 mg sodium, 23 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 32 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Saucy Beef Brisket)
- Per serving:
- 411 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 84 mg chol.,
- 583 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet