Roast Beef Tamale Casserole
17 ounce package refrigerated cooked beef roast au jus
medium onion, chopped
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed, and drained
cup grape tomatoes, halved, if desired
16 ounce tub refrigerated cooked polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
ounces Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded (1 cup)
cup sour cream
tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat beef according to package directions. Pour juice into 2-cup glass measure; add water to equal 1 cup. Coarsely shred beef with two forks.
- In large skillet cook pepper and onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour. Add juice mixture; cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir in beef, beans, zucchini, and tomatoes. Transfer to lightly greased 2-quart (8x8x2-inch) baking dish. Arrange polenta slices around edges.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more, until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In small bowl combine sour cream and cilantro. Serve with casserole, pass lime wedges. Serves 4 to 6.
From the Test Kitchen
Hot peppers contain oils that can burn skin and eyes. Wear kitchen gloves while handling pepper. Wash hands well after.
Nutrition Facts(Roast Beef Tamale Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 578 kcal cal.,
- 31 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 125 mg chol.,
- 1155 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 41 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet