Renee Behnkes Burgers Pacifica
cup finely chopped onion
tablespoons soy sauce
pounds lean ground beef
ounces dry Monterey Jack cheese, shaved, or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced.
sesame hamburger buns
avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
Assorted condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, catsup, tomatoes, lettuce, and/or pickles
- Place peppers on a grill rack directly over medium heat; grill, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until charred, turning frequently. Wrap peppers in foil or place in a clean paper bag; set aside until cool enough to handle (about 10 minutes). Peel peppers; remove and discard stems, seeds, and membranes. Finely chop peppers.
- Combine the peppers, onion, and soy sauce in a large mixing bowl; add beef and mix well. Shape mixture into 4 patties about 1 inch thick.
- Place burger patties on the lightly oiled rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 18 to 23 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 160 degree F, turning burgers once halfway through grilling. Top with cheese slices the last 5 minutes of grilling.
- Toast buns, if desired. Place burgers on buns. Top with avocado and desired condiments. Makes 4 burgers.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Use ripe Haas avocados (with dark, pebbly skin). Avocados turn brown once cut, so use right after slicing.
Nutrition Facts(Renee Behnkes Burgers Pacifica)
- Per serving:
- 559 kcal cal.,
- 31 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 126 mg chol.,
- 732 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 43 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet