Pumpkin Black Bean Bake
pound ground beef
cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled pumpkin or winter squash
medium onion, coarsely chopped
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
cup frozen whole kernel corn
4 ounce can diced green chiles
cup lower-sodium beef broth
3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
8 1/2 ounce package corn muffin mix
egg, lightly beaten
cup Pumpkin Puree (see Recipe Center) or canned pumpkin
Jalapeno-Olive Relish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large skillet cook ground beef, pumpkin, and onion over medium heat until meat is browned and onion tender, breaking up ground beef with spoon; drain fat. Stir in black beans, corn, chiles, and salt. Heat through. Stir in broth and cream cheese until blended. Transfer mixture to 2-1/2-quart baking dish.
- In medium bowl stir together corn muffin mix, egg, milk, and Pumpkin Puree until just combined. Spoon over beef mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into topper comes out clean. Serve with Jalapeno-Olive Relish.
cup halved pitted green olives
jalapeno peppers*, sliced
cherry tomatoes, quartered
tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- In small bowl combine green olives, jalapeno peppers*, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
*Hot chile peppers contain oils that can burn skin and eyes. When working with them, wear plastic or rubber gloves.
Nutrition Facts(Pumpkin Black Bean Bake)
- Per serving:
- 524 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 106 mg chol.,
- 924 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet