- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 4 hrs to 5 hrs (low) or 2 to 2 1/2 hours (high) plus 30 minutes (high)
Pesto Chicken Sandwich
teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
large onion, thinly sliced
ounces mushrooms, sliced
cloves garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
tablespoons red wine vinegar
large green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper, cut into strips
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
tablespoons purchased basil pesto
9 inch Italian flatbread (focaccia), cut in half horizontally
ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, combine Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Using your fingers, rub spice mixture into all sides or chicken.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Pour undrained tomatoes and vinegar over mixture.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Add squash and sweet pepper. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and pesto. Spread evenly over cut sides of flatbread. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Thinly slice chicken. Arrange chicken slices on bottom half of bread. Using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetable mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Add top half of bread. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Pesto Chicken Sandwich)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 63 mg chol.,
- 770 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet