Pesto Chicken Sandwich
teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
large onion, thinly sliced
ounces mushrooms, sliced
cloves garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
tablespoons red wine vinegar
large green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper, cut into strips
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
tablespoons purchased basil pesto
9 inch Italian flatbread (focaccia), cut in half horizontally
ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, combine Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Using your fingers, rub spice mixture into all sides or chicken.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Pour undrained tomatoes and vinegar over mixture.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Add squash and sweet pepper. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and pesto. Spread evenly over cut sides of flatbread. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Thinly slice chicken. Arrange chicken slices on bottom half of bread. Using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetable mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Add top half of bread. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts(Pesto Chicken Sandwich)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 63 mg chol.,
- 770 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet