Upload your photo here.
Peppercorn Roast Beef with Herbed Yorkshire Puddings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a small bowl combine the peppercorns, the 1 teaspoon salt, the 1 teaspoon thyme, and the rosemary. Cut several slits in roast; insert a garlic slice into each slit. Use your hands to rub salt mixture over roast. Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast for 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 135 degrees F. About 30 minutes before roast is done, prepare batter for Herbed Yorkshire Puddings; set aside. Remove roast from pan. Cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. Keep warm. Bake Herbed Yorkshire Puddings.
- Meanwhile, pour the drippings into a large measuring cup, scraping up crusty brown bits from bottom of pan. Skim fat from drippings. Reserve 1/4 cup fat (if necessary, add vegetable oil to equal 1/4 cup). Meanwhile, measure remaining drippings. Add beef broth to equal 2 cups. In a medium saucepan combine the reserved 1/4 cup fat and the flour; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Gradually stir the 2 cups drippings mixture and red wine into the flour mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. If desired, garnish roast with thyme sprigs. Serve roast with Herbed Yorkshire Puddings. If desired, serve with roasted vegetables.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare roast as directed through Step 1, except do not preheat oven. Cover roast with plastic wrap. For the Herbed Yorkshire Puddings, whisk together the beaten eggs, milk, broth, and oil; cover tightly. In a separate container combine flour, shallot, salt, thyme, and pepper. Cover tightly. Chill roast and both containers for up to 24 hours. To serve, let roast stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Continue as directed in Steps 2 and 3.
HERBED YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS
- In a medium bowl with a wire whisk or fork beat together eggs. Beat in milk, beef broth, and vegetable oil. Beat in flour, shallot, salt, thyme, and black pepper until smooth. When roast is done, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening each, grease twelve nonstick 2 1/2-inch muffin cups. (Or coat generously with nonstick cooking spray.) Fill each muffin cup about half full with batter. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden and very firm. Remove from cups. Serve hot with roast. Makes 12.
Nutrition Facts (Peppercorn Roast Beef with Herbed Yorkshire Puddings)
- Per serving:
- 324 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 88 mg chol.,
- 484 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet