Onion and Mushroom-Stuffed Burger
- In very large skillet cook the onions and mushrooms in hot oil over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated, and onions and mushrooms are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a very large mixing bowl mix beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper until just combined (do not over mix). Shape mixture into 16 (3-1/2-inch diameter) patties. Spoon filling onto half of patties to 1/2-inch of edge. Top with remaining patties; pinch to seal. If using, lay 2 bacon slices over each stuffed patty in crisscross pattern, tucking ends under.
- For charcoal grill, arrange preheated coals around drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place patties over drip pan on grill rack. Cover and grill 25 to 30 minutes or until done (160 F)**. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling. Grill as above.) Top with cheese. Cover; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese melts.
- Transfer burgers to serving platter. Serve on buns with tomato slices. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Toast the buns directly over hot coals during last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling.
If you wrap the burgers with bacon they will take a little longer to grill than unwrapped burgers.
Nutrition Facts (Onion and Mushroom-Stuffed Burger)
- Per serving:
- 516 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 96 mg chol.,
- 954 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet