Moroccan-Style Beef Short Ribs
tablespoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon ground cinnamon
pounds beef short ribs
tablespoons olive oil
cups beef broth
16 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
large onion, cut into thin wedges
medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
cup chopped carrot (2 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
10 ounce package quick-cooking couscous
- In a small bowl, stir together thyme, salt, ginger, pepper, and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over short ribs; rub in with your fingers. In a large skillet, brown short ribs, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. In a 6- or 7-quart slow cooker stir together broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, onion, fennel, carrot, and garlic; top with short ribs.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer short ribs and vegetables to a serving dish. If desired, spoon some of the cooking liquid over the short ribs and vegetables to moisten.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Serve couscous with short ribs and vegetables. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Moroccan-Style Beef Short Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 512 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 46 mg chol.,
- 989 mg sodium,
- 71 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet