- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 10 hrs to 11 hrs (low) or 5 to 5 1/2 hours (high)
3 pound fresh beef brisket
teaspoons dried Greek seasoning or Italian seasoning, crushed
medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into thick wedges; or 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices, plus 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
cup beef broth
cup pitted green, kalamata, and/or ripe olives
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
teaspoon ground black pepper
Hot cooked noodles or rice (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with 1 teaspoon of the Greek seasoning; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in the cooker. Top with fennel wedges or celery and fennel seeds.
- In a medium bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, broth, olives, salt, lemon peel, pepper, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning. Pour over brisket mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from slow cooker, reserving cooking juices. Thinly slice meat. Arrange meat and vegetables on a serving platter. Cover meat and vegetables; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a glass measuring cup; skim off fat.
- For sauce, if necessary, add water to cooking juices to make 2 cups. Transfer to a small saucepan. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup water and the flour; stir into mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve sauce with meat and vegetables. If desired, serve with hot cooked noodles.
Nutrition Facts (Mediterranean Brisket)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 82 mg chol.,
- 754 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet