- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 3 pound fresh beef brisket
- 3 teaspoons dried Greek seasoning or Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into thick wedges; or 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices, plus 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup pitted green, kalamata, and/or ripe olives
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked noodles or rice (optional)
1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with 1 teaspoon of the Greek seasoning; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in the cooker. Top with fennel wedges or celery and fennel seeds.
2. In a medium bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, broth, olives, salt, lemon peel, pepper, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning. Pour over brisket mixture in cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
4. Remove meat from slow cooker, reserving cooking juices. Thinly slice meat. Arrange meat and vegetables on a serving platter. Cover meat and vegetables; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a glass measuring cup; skim off fat.
5. For sauce, if necessary, add water to cooking juices to make 2 cups. Transfer to a small saucepan. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup water and the flour; stir into mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve sauce with meat and vegetables. If desired, serve with hot cooked noodles.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 286,
- Fat, total (g) 11,
- chol. (mg) 82,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 8,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 37,
- sodium (mg) 754,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet