Meatball Sandwich with Spicy Mayo
A dinner the kids will love. This hearty hot sandwich has a cool and crunchy topper.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins plus meatballs
- Broil: 1 min
- Prepare and bake Meatballs In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, cilantro, and chili powder; set aside. Set oven to broil and arrange oven rack 4 inches from heat.
- Place ciabatta or buns, split side up, on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese on bun bottoms. Broil about 1 minute or until buns are toasted and cheese is melted. Spread cut side of bun tops with mayonnaise mixture. Place hot meatballs on bun bottoms; top with carrot, jicama and, if desired, jalapeno slices. Makes 6 servings.
Prepare and bake meatballs. Cool slightly. Divide and transfer to plastic storage or freezer containers for each member. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze up to 1 month. If refrigerating meatballs, place mayonnaise mixture, cheese, carrot, jicama, and jalapeno peppers in storage containers. If freezing meatballs, prepare mayonnaise mixture, cheese, carrot, jicama, and jalapeno peppers st serving time.
Reheating and Serving: Thaw frozen meatballs overnight in the refrigerator, if necessary. Place meatballs on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from the heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, turning once. Assemble as above.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl combine the egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs (about 1 tablespoon mixture per meatball). Arrange meatballs in prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Drain off fat. Makes 24 meatballs.
- Each meatball: 41 cal, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 21 mg chol., 71 mg sodium, 1 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 4 g pro.
Use a blender or food processor to make soft breadcrumbs. About 1-1/2 ounces of break makes 1 cup of crumbs.
The job is quick when one person makes the meatballs while others perform other tasks. Set aside a spot at the kitchen table for the meatball maker to sit.
- Per serving:
- 537 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 106 mg chol.,
- 1010 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet