Kansas City Ribs
Sweet and savory are the dream combo. Don't disappoint with ribs slathered in a spicy brown sugar rub and finished with a ketchup and molasses sauce.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 2 hrs 350°F
- Cook: 20 mins
Kansas City Ribs
- Trim fat from ribs. Place ribs in a shallow roasting pan. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, celery salt, dry mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Generously sprinkle rub mixture over both sides of ribs; rub in with your fingers. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake ribs in a 350 digress F oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until very tender. Drain off fat.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain wood chips.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in ketchup, molasses, vinegar, water, brown sugar, chili powder, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Sprinkle wood chips over medium coals in a charcoal grill. Place ribs on the grill rack directly over the coals. Grill, covered, for 10 minutes or until ribs are browned, turning once and brushing occasionally with sauce. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add wood chips, according to manufacturer directions. Place ribs on grill rack. Grill as directed above.) Serve ribs with remaining sauce.
- If desired, serve with Fries with Barbecue Shake. Makes 6 servings.
Fries with Barbecue Shake
- Prepare 1 28-ounce package frozen french-fried shoestring potatoes according to package directions. Place in a very large bowl.
- For barbecue shake, in a small bowl combine 1/2 tsp. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. celery salt, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper. Sprinkle barbecue shake over hot fries and toss to coat. Makes 6 servings.
- Nutrition Facts per serving of fries: 233 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 640 mg sodium, 1 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 0 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Kansas City Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 670 kcal cal.,
- 33 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 14 g monounsatured fat),
- 183 mg chol.,
- 1192 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 59 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet