Jerk Burgers with Mango Salsa
tablespoon cooking oil
cup finely chopped green sweet pepper
cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
cup finely chopped onion
teaspoon grated fresh ginger
medium mango, seeded, peeled, and chopped
cup apple jelly
tablespoon lime juice
egg, lightly beaten
cup bottled jerk sauce
cup fine dry bread crumbs
pound lean ground beef
ciabatta rolls or hamburger buns, split
cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet peppers, onion, and ginger; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add mango, jelly, lime juice, and salt; cook and stir until jelly is melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/4 cup of the jerk sauce, and the bread crumbs. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal grill, place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 10 to 13 minutes or until done (160 degrees F), turning and brushing once with the remaining jerk sauce halfway through grilling. If desired, toast ciabatta rolls on the grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties, then ciabatta rolls [if desired] on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Divide cheese among bottoms of rolls. Serve burgers in rolls with some of the salsa. Pass the remaining salsa.
Nutrition Facts(Jerk Burgers with Mango Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 808 kcal cal.,
- 50 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 19 g monounsatured fat),
- 167 mg chol.,
- 740 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet