- Yields: 4 servings + reserves
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 9 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4.5-5 hours (high)
Italian Pot Roast
3 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
teaspoon garlic salt
teaspoon fennel seed, toasted and crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into thin wedges
medium carrots, halved lenthwise and bias-sliced in 2-inch lengths (1-1/2 cups)
large onion, cut into thin wedges (1 cup)
26 ounce jar pasta sauce
cups hot cooked penne pasta
cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Trim fat from roast. In a small bowl, combine garlic salt, fennel seed, and pepper; rub into roast on all sides. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, combine fennel, carrot, and onion. Place roast on top. Pour pasta sauce over roast in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
- Reserve one-third of the roast and 2 cups of the sauce; store as directed below. Toss pasta with parsley. Serve remaining roast and sauce over hot pasta mixture. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings and reserves.
From the Test Kitchen
To store reserves:
Chop reserved roast (about 2 cups). Place beef and reserved sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Italian Pot Roast)
- Per serving:
- 535 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 134 mg chol.,
- 944 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 55 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBeef Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Salad Dressing Recipes, Slow Cooker Beef Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes