- Makes: 4 servings
- Yields: 4 servings + reserves
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 9 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 1/2 to 5 hours (high)
- Trim fat from roast. In a small bowl, combine garlic salt, fennel seed, and pepper; rub into roast on all sides. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, combine fennel, carrot, and onion. Place roast on top. Pour pasta sauce over roast in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Reserve one-third of the roast and 2 cups of the sauce; store* as directed below. Use with Beef and Olive Calzones (see recipe below). Toss pasta with parsley. Serve remaining roast and sauce over hot pasta mixture. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings + reserves.
Chop reserved roast (about 2 cups). Place beef and reserved sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; lightly coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll 10- to 13.8-ounce package refrigerated pizza dough on prepared baking sheet. Cut dough in half crosswise and lengthwise to make four rectangles; set aside. In a blender or food processor, puree reserved sauce. In a medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup of the pureed sauce; the reserved beef; 1/2 cup finely shredded Italian cheese blend; and 1/4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives. Place about 1/2 cup beef mixture in center of each dough rectangle. For each calzone, fold a short edge of a dough rectangle over filling to opposite edge, stretching slightly if necessary. Seal edges with the tines of a fork. Arrange calzones so they are evenly spaced on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese. If desired, prick tops of calzones to allow steam to escape. Bake, uncovered, for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat remaining pureed sauce; serve with calzones. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Beef and Olive Calzones: 165 cal., 17 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 87 mg chol., 951 mg sodium, 40 g carb., 4 g dietary fiber, 37 g protein.
- Per serving:
- 535 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 134 mg chol.,
- 944 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 55 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet