- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Roast: 1 hr 45 mins 350°F
- Stand: 15 mins
Herbed Prime Rib with Two Sauces
teaspoons kosher salt
tablespoon dry mustard
teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
teaspoon granulated garlic or dried minced garlic
teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon celery seeds
tablespoon olive oil
4 pound beef rib roast
recipe Merlot Au Jus and/or 1 recipe Horseradish Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For dry rub, in a small bowl combine salt, mustard, espresso powder, pepper, garlic, onion powder, thyme, oregano, coriander, and celery seeds. Set aside.
- Rub oil over roast. Sprinkle the dry rub evenly over roast; rub in with your fingers. Using a sharp knife, make six 1 x 1/2-inch slits into the fat side of the roast (the slits allow the seasoning to penetrate into the meat).
- Place roast, fat side up, in a large roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Thermometer should not touch bones. Roast for 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 135 degrees F. for medium-rare doneness or 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 150 degrees F. for medium doneness.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board. Cover with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Temperature of the meat after standing should be 145 degrees F for medium-rare doneness or 160 degrees F for medium doneness. Slice and serve with Merlot Au Jus and/or Horseradish Cream.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare roast as directed through Step 2. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Continue as directed.
Merlot Au Jus
pan drippings from roast
cups beef broth
cup Merlot wine
teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- After removing roast from roasting pan, pour drippings into large glass measuring cup. Skim off fat; discard. Add beef broth, Merlot wine, Worcestershire sauce to drippings. Pour mixture back into pan. Heat and stir over medium heat until bubbly, scraping up crusty brown bits from bottom of the pan. If desired, for a thicker au jus, stir together water and cornstarch. Whisk into bubbling broth mixture. If desired, strain au jus before serving.
- Nutrition Facts per serving: 11 cal., 0 g protein, 0 g carb., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 0 dietary fiber, 0% vit. A, 0% vit. C, 121 mg sodium, 0% calcium, 1% iron
8 ounce container sour cream
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
tablespoon finely chopped green onion
teaspoons prepared horseradish
teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
teaspoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl combine sour cream, mayonnaise, green onion, horseradish, mustard, white balsamic vinegar, and kosher salt. Cover and chill until ready to serve. If desired, garnish with additional chopped green onions. Makes 1 3/4 cups.
- Nutrition Analysis: 105 calories, 0 g protein, 1 g carb., 11 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 2% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 128 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 0% iron
Nutrition Facts (Herbed Prime Rib with Two Sauces)
- Per serving:
- 422 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 82 mg chol.,
- 957 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 1 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet