- Yields: 4 cups
- Start to Finish: 35 mins
Ground Beef Con Mole
pound 85 percent lean ground beef
tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
tablespoon bottled minced garlic (6 cloves)
cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoons chopped dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate
tablespoons sesame seeds
tablespoon chili powder
teaspoons dried Mexican oregano or dried oregano, crushed
teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon cayenne pepper
cup dry sherry
cup canned tomato sauce
cup canned yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
cup snipped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Remove meat from skillet; drain off fat. Keep meat warm.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in sweet pepper, onion, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook about 5 minutes or until pepper and onion are softened.
- Reduce heat to medium; stir in chocolate, sesame seeds, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until spices are fragrant (be careful not to burn the mixture).
- Remove skillet from heat. Carefully stir in sherry. Return skillet to heat. Add cooked ground beef, the tomato sauce, hominy, and olives. Cook and stir until mixture is combined and thickened. Stir in cilantro. Season to taste with additional kosher salt.
Nutrition Facts (Ground Beef Con Mole)
- Per serving:
- 120 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 19 mg chol.,
- 229 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet