Grilled All-American Burgers
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine garlic or onion, catsup, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cooking oil, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine ground beef, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
To Cook by Direct Grill Method:
- Grill meat on the grill rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14 to 18 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce.
- To serve, split and toast the buns on the grill. Serve patties in buns with cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickle, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To Cook by Indirect Grill Method:
In a covered grill arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place meat on the grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill for 20 to 24 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted in side of burger registers 160 degree F, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce during the last 5 minutes of grilling.
Prepare sauce; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Prepare and shape burgers. Cover with plastic wrap and chill up to 2 hours before grilling.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled All-American Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 327 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 71 mg chol.,
- 611 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet