German-Style Beef Roast
2 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
tablespoon cooking oil
cups sliced carrots (2)
cups chopped onions (2 large)
cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
cup chopped kosher-style dill pickles
cup dry red wine or beef broth
cup German-style mustard
teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
teaspoon ground cloves
tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth
Hot cooked spaetzle or cooked noodles
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet brown the meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain fat.
- In the cooker, combine the carrots, onions, celery, and pickles. Place the meat on top of vegetables. In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup red wine, the mustard, pepper, cloves, and bay leaves. Pour over meat and vegetables in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove the meat from the cooker and place on a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Transfer vegetables and cooking liquid to a 2-quart saucepan. Skim fat. Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, stir together flour and the 2 tablespoons wine. Stir into the mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve with vegetables, gravy, and hot cooked spaetzle. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(German-Style Beef Roast)
- Per serving:
- 256 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 84 mg chol.,
- 467 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet