Fruit-and-Fire Flat Iron Steaks
- For marinade, trim ends of lemon grass; halve lengthwise. Remove two or three layers of tough outer stalk. Remove tender inner stalks; wrap, refrigerate, and reserve to garnish grilled steaks. Finely chop 1 tablespoon remaining lemon grass. In bowl combine chopped lemon grass, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Transfer 1/2 cup marinade to airtight container; refrigerate.
- Place steak in large self-sealing plastic bag set in shallow dish. Pour remaining marinade over steaks; seal bag. Refrigerate 12 to 24 hours; turn occasionally.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Let steaks stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- For charcoal grill, place pineapple slices, nectarines, and plums on rack over hot coals. Cover and grill 4 to 6 minutes, until fruit is lightly seared, turning once. Brush with refrigerated marinade the last 2 minutes of grilling. Transfer fruit to platter; set aside.
- For charcoal grill, place steaks on rack directly over medium coals. Cover and grill 15 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F); turning once and brushing with refrigerated marinade the last 2 minutes of grilling. Place green onions on rack over coals; grill, uncovered, 1 minute, turning occasionally. (For gas grill, preheat grill to medium-high. Place fruit on rack over heat. Cover and grill fruit. Reduce heat to medium. Grill steaks and onions as above.)
- Slice steaks. Serve with fruit, onions, and reserved lemon grass. Serves 4.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit-and-Fire Flat Iron Steaks)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 111 mg chol.,
- 962 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 21 g sugar,
- 36 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet