- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high) plus 15 minutes
Fireside Beef Stew with Squash
pounds boneless beef chuck pot roast
cups peeled and seeded butternut squash cut into 1-inch pieces (1 pound)
small onions, cut into wedges
cloves garlic, minced
14 ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
8 ounce can tomato sauce
tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon dry mustard
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon ground allspice
tablespoons cold water
9 ounce package frozen Italian green beans
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. In a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker combine meat, squash, onions, and garlic. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, the 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and the allspice.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. In a small bowl combine cold water and cornstarch. Stir cornstarch mixture and frozen green beans into meat mixture. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until thickened. If desired, sprinkle each serving with freshly ground black pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Fireside Beef Stew with Squash)
- Per serving:
- 206 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 67 mg chol.,
- 440 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet